Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What's Up Wednesday - Gluten Free Goodness!!

I found out almost two years ago that I am not able to eat gluten. It was tough at first, having to give up so many foods (you'd be surprised at how many foods have hidden wheat or gluten in them!!), but the health benefits have been phenomenal.

So, what is a gluten allergy? Basically, it's an allergy to wheat, oats*, barley and rye. *Oats, if they are gluten-free, are often able to still be eaten by those who suffer from gluten allergies.

Today on Facebook one of my pals posted an incredible Kickstarter gig that would allow a couple to start up a Gluten Free bakery right here in my area!! That would be such a wonderful addition to our community, because even though Omaha houses the National Celiac Sprue Association, we don't have a single dedicated gluten-free bakery or restaurant. The few options we do have include both gluten and gluten-free options, which can increase the chance of cross-contamination and thus sometimes make me sick.

I have posted the video for the Kickstarter project below. If you want more info, visit their gig or their blog. I'm asking you personally to consider donating, even if you can only give $1 - every little bit will help!! I really want to see this become a reality, as our community really could use this.

Thanks to all my lovely readers who help me with this! Even if you can't donate, please spread the word so that we can reach as many potential backers as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment