Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Shameless Stuff #6: Act “girly” or “manly” in a way you’d normally avoid.

Growing up, I was more likely to be found in jeans and baggy flannel shirts than dresses and frilly things. Frankly, I didn't like being reminded that I was a girl (since I felt that girls had it unfair, even back then), and I had some friends and cousins that I admired for being decidedly un-feminine.

That isn't to say that I didn't want to be a girl - I just didn't want to be "girly."

When I hit high school, I continued to wear standard, comfy clothes, even while working to attract various guys who I thought were super hot (one of which, by the way, I ended up marrying, but that's a story for another time). Same with college - if I had to dress up, it was usually smart pantsuits or a sweater and khakis more often than skirts or dresses.

It was only a few years ago, after heading back to work in an environment that didn't require a uniform and wasn't my own business (t-shirt printing businesses generally allow for more casual wear than most other types of businesses), that I discovered a slightly embarrassing fact about myself - I actually LIKED wearing dresses, skirts, blouses, and other types of fitted ladies clothes!

Part of that was my new found obsession with JC Penny's clearance racks - suddenly I was able to afford to put together cute outfits. Another part was the fact that I was getting complimented frequently on my new found style. Who doesn't like to be complimented frequently?

Suddenly, I was unstoppable - as proven by the fact that I hit "Platinum" designation on my JC Penny's credit card - and I found myself drifting towards more "frilly" types of clothes. Not necessarily dresses and skirts only, but every type of fun, cute, feminine outfit.

It figures that by the time I figured out I actually have a decent knack for women's outfits I'm 50lbs heavier and not quite as lithe as I used to be!! But now I embrace that "girly" side of myself, rather than shirk from it. I can still be strong, independent, and intelligent while looking darn good at the same time. ;)

1 comment: