Friday, December 20, 2013

Flop - The Mermaid of Brooklyn by Amy Shearn

The Mermaid of BrooklynThe Mermaid of Brooklyn by Amy Shearn
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I thought this book would be more... for lack of a better description, fantasy-inspired. Instead, I found it to be rather boring. The chapters are too long, and the tone, while conversational, was much too rambling for my taste. I didn't really get into the story at all until over a quarter of the way through it, and even then I ended up skimming a lot of the pages due to the boring babbling. I wanted there to be less whining and more mythical action, but sadly it just wasn't meant to be. There were a few moments of true brilliance here and there, so perhaps there is still some value here. Maybe stay at home moms would find this more interesting and relatable. But for me, I was just proud of myself for not giving up after the first couple of chapters. Then again, the ending was so awful that I regretted reading it, so maybe I should have stopped at the beginning!

Definitely not the kind of book for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment